Transportation of Last Resort Program
Our Lyft Program is helping residents get to their important appointments using the concierge Lyft service.
The Transportation of Last Resort program provides Lyft rides to any Needham resident over the age of 18 in need of transportation to important appointments. In a suburban environment like Needham, access to and reliability on public transportation can be challenging. Coupled with a lack of owning a vehicle or a lack of technology to use ride-share services, many of our residents are unable to get to these appointments otherwise.
The Transporation program is available to any Needham resident that does not have another means of getting to an important appointment.
Riders/Rides must meet the following criteria:
- Rider must be over the age of 18
- Rider must be able to get in and out of the car independently
- Rides must be within Needham or adjacent towns
- Limited to 10 rides per month
- Rides must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance
- Rides are offered Monday – Friday, 9 am to 3 pm
Eligible appointments include but are not limited to:
- doctors’ appointments
- picking up prescriptions
- visiting a loved one in a nursing home
- getting critical needs like food
- meeting with professionals like lawyers, accountant, or the social security administration.
Generous gifts from our Program Partners allow us to offer this program at no cost to riders.
How a Ride Works
All rides are done by appointment only. Call the office at 781-444-2415 to make a reservation at least 24 hours in advance.
At the time of your ride, when you are ready to be picked up, phone the office again to let our Office Manager know you are ready to be picked up.
She will initiate a Lyft ride on your behalf and let you know the vehicle, plate and name of your driver.
The driver will come to your location and pick you up and our office will track your ride to ensure you arrive safely at your destination.
*** EXPANSION: Access to MBTA Bus or Subway 1-way Passes ***
Transportation of Last Resort Program Expansion – Effective February 2024
We are pleased to announce the expansion of the Transportation of Last Resort program. Starting February 2024, active Food Pantry Households will have access to MBTA Bus or Subway 1-way passes for essential appointments.
- Each household can request a maximum of (4) 1-way passes at any given time.
- A total of no more than (10) 1-way passes per month can be requested per household.
- Passes must be requested at least 24 hours in advance.
- Passes can be picked up at the Council’s office.
- For individuals receiving a Food Pantry delivery, passes can be delivered with your bi-monthly food order.
- There is a limited # of passes available each month so not all requests can be honored.
When requesting passes, please provide the following details:
Date of intended use.
Name of the person requesting the passes.
Purpose of the trip (e.g., medical appointment, appointment for services, job or school interviews).
We hope this expanded program helps make important appointments more accessible for our community. If you have any questions or need assistance, feel free to contact us.
The Needham Community Council