Transportation of Last Resort Program
Our Lyft Program is helping residents get to their important appointments using the concierge Lyft service.
The Transportation of Last Resort program provides Lyft rides to any Needham resident over the age of 18 in need of transportation to important appointments. In a suburban environment like Needham, access to and reliability on public transportation can be challenging. Coupled with a lack of owning a vehicle or a lack of technology to use ride-share services, many of our residents are unable to get to these appointments otherwise.
The Transporation program is available to any Needham resident that does not have another means of getting to an important appointment.
Riders/Rides must meet the following criteria:
- Rider must be over the age of 18
- Rider must be able to get in and out of the car independently
- Rides must be within Needham or adjacent towns
- Limited to 10 rides per month
- Rides must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance
- Rides are offered Monday – Friday, 9 am to 3 pm
Eligible appointments include but are not limited to:
- doctors’ appointments
- picking up prescriptions
- visiting a loved one in a nursing home
- getting critical needs like food
- meeting with professionals like lawyers, accountant, or the social security administration.
Generous gifts from our Program Partners allow us to offer this program at no cost to riders.
How a Ride Works
All rides are done by appointment only. Call the office at 781-444-2415 to make a reservation at least 24 hours in advance.
At the time of your ride, when you are ready to be picked up, phone the office again to let our Office Manager know you are ready to be picked up.
She will initiate a Lyft ride on your behalf and let you know the vehicle, plate and name of your driver.
The driver will come to your location and pick you up and our office will track your ride to ensure you arrive safely at your destination.